Gambling is fun and casino is a great place to enjoy real money games. However, problem gambling can have a serious physical, emotional and financial impact on both the people who gamble and their families. Do any of these expressions sound familiar to you?
Most people with gambling problems say they lost control over how much time and money they spent gambling. During that time, they ignored their other responsibilities. They knew they had problems, but they only cared about playing.
Why can’t I stop playing?
- How did it happen? I can’t believe all the trouble I’m in.
- If I stop playing now, I will have to admit that I am a loser. There is no way I can pay everything I owe.
- If I had the money to invest, I’m sure my luck would change. I just need to win one more time.
- Even if he won again, he would probably lose by playing again.
- I can’t face this mess by myself, but I’m too embarrassed to ask for help.
- I should be able to solve my own problems. How could I be so stupid?
- I never thought this could be so bad.
Most people who gamble excessively have mixed feelings about their gambling habit. They know they are causing problems for their loved ones. They can become sad, anxious, and often hate themselves.
However, the urge to play is too strong to resist. They feel like they can’t give up all the time, money, and excitement they have put into gambling. They cannot accept that they will never get back what they have lost.
Some people believe that the system will reward them in the end, that their luck will change, or that it will be their turn to win. Others believe that continuing to play is the only way out of a situation that embarrasses them.
Other people promise to stop playing, but they can’t. They fear that their loved ones will discover them. This leads them to hide even more and to increase their debts. They hope to win a jackpot that will solve their problems.
Every now and then they win, which keeps their hope alive, until the amount of the debt grows again. If they stop playing now, they will feel like losers. They will have to face all the problems that gambling has caused them.